Changing company name amounts to a significant alteration since Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association need to be altered.
As per Section 13 of the Companies Act 2013, a company may change its name by passing a special resolution in general meeting and receiving approval from the Central Government.
The step-by-step process of changing name of a private limited company is outlined below:
- Passing board resolution. When partners are mutually agreed
- Checking name availability (RUN)
- Passing Special Resolution.
- Applying to Registrar.(MGT-14)
- Applying to Registrar (INC-24)
- Incorporating company name in MoA and AoA